This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities. This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops.
The diversity of employers includes restaurants, cafes, clubs, pubs, coffee shops and catering companies, event venues, or organisations that organise their own catering. Work could be undertaken on-site at venues, commercial kitchens or on-site for outdoor events or a combination of both.
The total duration will be 52 weeks including the breaks. This qualification is made up of 25 units of competency (21 core units and 4 elective units).
- Build a broad range of skills including with specialised food preparation, menu planning and management skills and knowledge of industry to coordinate planning and the safe delivery of operations
- Learn to operate with autonomy and are be responsible for making business decisions
- Learn knowledge and skills required to work as a skilled operator using a broad range of cookery skills combined with sound knowledge of industry operations.
- Learn to operate with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems
- Have some supervisory responsibilities and need to plan, monitor and evaluate the work of team members.